March Highlights

  And we come to it again - the ending of another month. I am still here slowly freaking out about everything...the busiest time of year is coming up fast and I am not prepared guys. Not at all.


LIFE EVENTS

  • Lots of theater this month (well, two different instances)! I went to see a local theater group's production called "Lucky Lucky Hudson", a comedy musical featuring gangsters that was pretty entertaining. Then I went to see my cousin, Tracy Cantin, in the Edmonton Lyric Opera as Chrysothemis, the sister of Elecktra, the title character of the opera. I've never been to an opera before and actually quite enjoyed it. It was Strauss' Elektra but with a dystopian feel and lots of blood. It's funny having to read subtitles for a play. XD
  • This month was my camp's All Girls weekend, and the theme was Spies! I had three seven year old girls in my cabin group of six which was...interesting. But it was a fun weekend. We had a great speaker for chapel and I learned a lot from her. It was a pretty fun time. 
  • So much wedding productivity! We finally got to meet with our caterer, I ordered and received my bridesmaid dresses, I got my invitations made up and am beginning to send them out, among other things. It was kind of a crazy month for wedding things. But I'm super glad so much could be checked off the list!
sisters modelling...
  • I started an art class which has been good for getting me back into drawing on a semi-regular basis at least. I never have the time anymore! 
  • Went to Edmonton and met my cousin's boyfriend for the first time. We taught him how to play The Bean Game in the food court of West Edmonton Mall. Good times.
  • So much horses. I've been doing a ton of jumping and I'm starting to feel more confident. A new jumper horse is coming this weekend and then we'll finally have more than one horse who is athletically capable. XD Lots of excitement! I also got to take my own horses out for a sunny ride down the road for the first time this year - which was great. Galloping down the road is an amazing feeling for sure. And I've spent a fair bit of time with the horses out at camp, doing some trail riding, which has also been really nice. I find that horses are one of very few ways lately in which I can keep my brain focused and content. My brain is moody.


WRITING LIFE


With all going on above, this month wasn't the most productive month for writing. I did manage to get a few chapters of The Wandering completed, not as much as I wanted but oh wells. My mind is currently drawing a blank on what else I wrote this month...maybe it was just that? I did go through my endless lists of notes on my fantasy series however, trying to do some plotting.

Oh! And I got my manuscript back from the editor! Now I just have to go through her copy edit and approve it before sending it back for a proofread and then I'll be ready to look at publishing! Eeep!

READING LIFE


I met my goal of two books this month, and they were both CS Lewis, so that's excellent. XD

THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH by CS Lewis
The last book of The Space Trilogy that I had put off reading for awhile, simply out of busyness and other books coming along. I really should not have. I talked a little bit about this whole series in my post about CS Lewis novels that you should really be reading. But this one is definitely much different than the others. First, it takes place completely on Earth, second, there is a lot of political conspiracy, third, a lot about marriage, fourth, there's Merlin and fifth, it's quite a bit darker than the others - at least I thought. But no less fantastic. 5/5



THE DARK TOWER by CS Lewis
This is an unfinished manuscript of Mr. Lewis'. It's missing a couple pages and is actually not complete - the story abruptly ends just as it's beginning to really get going. This is a huge disappointment to me, as I found the story - a piece featuring some of the same characters in the Space trilogy - wholly fascinating. We are led to believe there is time travel involve but it is hinted that something much different is going on. I'm not sure if I can recommend this due to the fact that it is unfinished and I wouldn't want to inflict anyone else with eternal suffering, but it IS a very good story start and there are enough hints placed in the text for the reader to at least imagine some sort of ending. There are also some very good short stories included in the book - I really loved The Man Born Blind personally. 4/5


BLOGGING LIFE


Still managing to post every week! Though some of my posts end up being a day late...whoops. I'm excited to have gained some new followers this month, and to have read some really great blog posts from other bloggers. Keep up the great work everyone!

Some of my favorites...

Abigayle Ellison's Banishing Plotting//When to Plot and When to Not
Katie Grace's Growing Older + some thoughts on that
Abbie's It's Okay to NOT Be Independent (Why I Still Live with My Parents and Love Every Minute of It)
Andrea's A Talk About Tropes
Jonathan Trout's Dear Writer, How's Your Heart?
Mary Horton's A Word About Beauty and the Beast
Aimee Meester's You Can't Be a Writer Unless You...

This month's blogging stats:


  • Pageviews: 5375
  • Followers: 16
  • Posts: 59

GOALS


Goals for March...


  • Get The Sorceress and the Squid sent off to the editor!! // This actually happened, and I even got it back and now I get to read through it and clean it up! Sweetness. :D
  • 1-2 chapters of The Wandering written? // Did this one. *wipes imaginary sweat from brow*
  • Read at least 2 books - hopefully more if possible // And this one! What?
  • Try to get somewhere with The Snow Dragon? // Not this one so much...depending on how this coming month goes we'll see if I touch it again. 
Goals for April

Guys, I have SO much to do/so much I want to do....gotta make the goals small, which, sadly, means probably no Camp NaNo for me this year. Sigh. Maybe next?

  • Get to chapter 20 in The Wandering? Maybe? I'm mostly saying "20" cause I'm on 16 right now and 20 is a good round number...
  • Read 2 books (my permanent monthly goal)
  • Finish my read-through of The Sorceress and the Squid (hopefully before the end of the month) so I can send it back for the proof-read.
  • I'm working on Thin-Skinned for school starting this month, so we'll see what happens there I guess...hopefully some new chapters?

  Well, that's all I've got for this month. It was busy and fun and exciting and productive - just not always in the areas I want. I think I need to learn how to be content with not being productive in every area of my life at all times because I will probably kill myself before that happens. Sigh. 

  How was your month? Did you do anything exciting? Are you doing Camp NaNo this April? Tell me about your project or about your April goals below!


Comments

Popular Posts